Using Infrared grills (also known as IR grills) to cook isn’t another technique of grilling. They have only just recently gained traction as a super-fast way of heating and a great method for searing. Even though not a lot of people have one, infrared grills are steadily becoming a top choice for outdoor cooking. The appeal comes in their ability to radiate high heat intensity to produce a perfect sear on any meat product it grills.
As compared to charcoal fueled grills and standard gas grills, they perform significantly better when it comes to searing. Also, they are not hindered by hostile weather conditions. Even the strongest winds won’t slow their searing ability. If you love outdoor cooking and want to get that perfect crust to your burgers or steak, having the best infrared grill can help you achieve this endeavor.
Char-Broil the Big Easy
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
* value is adjusted considering specificities of infrared technology
Char-Broil 463370719 Performance TRU-Infrared 3-Burner
Primary Cooking Area, sq. inch: 450
Primary Burners BTU: 24,000
BTU / Square Inch: 73 Infrared adjusted
Burgers cooked at once: 20
Warranty: 1 year / 5 years
Made in: China
Char-Broil 463632320 Signature TRU-Infrared 2-Burner
Primary Cooking Area, sq. inch: 325
Primary Burners BTU: 20,000
BTU / Square Inch: 81 Infrared adjusted
Burgers cooked at once: 14
Warranty: 1 year / 10 years
Made in: China
Char-Broil the Big Easy TRU-Infrared Smoker, Roaster & Grill
Primary Cooking Area, sq. inch: 180
Primary Burners BTU: 18,000
BTU / Square Inch: 120 Infrared adjusted
Burgers cooked at once: 7
Warranty: 1 year
Made in: China
Solaire SOL-EV17A Everywhere Portable Infrared
Primary Cooking Area, sq. inch: 140
Primary Burners BTU: 14,000
BTU / Square Inch: 120 Infrared adjusted
Burgers cooked at once: 6
Warranty: 1 year
Made in: USA
Char-Broil X200 TRU-Infrared Portable
Primary Cooking Area, sq. inch: 200
Primary Burners BTU: 9,500
BTU / Square Inch: 68 Infrared adjusted
Burgers cooked at once: 6
Warranty: 1 year / 5 years
Made in: China
This article aims to help you understand:
What Are Infrared Grills?
The phrase ‘infrared’ denotes a way of heat transfer. An infrared grill has a burner that heats up and generates infrared radiation. This differs from regular gas grills that transfer heat through convection. A convection system is where heat is transferring through a medium like water or air. Infrared utilizes radiation. Radiant heat can travel through anything including vacuum and doesn’t need a medium. This suggests that infrared grills create a consistent and uniform cooking space. And it is regardless of the medium or surrounding temperature. No heat will be lost by heating a pan, for instance. Infrared cooking gets the most out of flavor and saves on fuel cost. It is a much more efficient way of cooking compared to ordinary gas grills.
All food types have a moisture borderline that comprises a layer of water molecules. Ordinary gas grills have a difficult time permeating this periphery without unsettling it. When it’s disrupted, the food will dry out because of the hot air. Given how infrared emits natural electromagnetic radiation, it can pass through and cook the food without the moisture being broken down. This yields food that is juicier compared to what ordinary gas grills can deliver. Some grills can assist to preserve up to 35% of food moisture, adding huge amounts of tenderness and flavor.
Some grill models may feature one or two grill plates designed to transmit infrared heat and can be referred to as a ‘sear zone. In essence, burning coal also produces infrared radiation. With that premise, it’s clear that using infrared radiation to cook isn’t something new. It just wasn’t harnessed efficiently and conveniently until recently. Choosing the infrared grill is sure to get you optimal results.
How Does An Infrared Grill Function?
Among the main features of IR grilling is the panel situated between the flame and the grates. This is usually a metal that's enclosed with a stainless-steel mesh, special glass, or perforated ceramic tile.
Infrared functions by eliminating the convective air movement used in old-fashioned grills. It is giving off radiant heat instead. In this type of grilling, the panel under the food is heated by the gas, from where heat is radiated to the food on top of the grill. This is entirely different from conventional gas grilling, whereby grates are heated directly.
IR grills use gas burners for heating the metal surface located between the grates and burners. The extra plate absorbs heat and energy emitted by the gas burner before re-radiating it to the meat. Hence the food doesn’t get into contact with either the gas or electric heating element. Most old-fashioned grills heat up the air inside the grills until it reaches extremely high temperatures. Contrary, IR grills give off most of their heat from underneath the food.
Since infrared heats the meat directly, it’s less likely to dry out. The food can sear at extreme temperatures or can be cooked gradually on low, balanced heat. Convective heat distorts the water molecule barrier in foods. Contrary, infrared heat permeates the barrier to ensure that natural juices are locked in. It stops juices from evaporating, locking in the tenderness of vegetables and meat you cook.
Advantages of Infrared Grills
Heat Up Very Fast
Infrared cooking uses the finest technology, guaranteeing that your vegetables and meat will heat up very fast. Even traditional infrared barbecues take about five minutes before reaching the required temperature.
Less Affected by Wind
As IR grilling process is dependent on radiant heat, infrared grills function well under a broad range of climatic conditions. You won’t need to fret over charcoal fragments scattering all over, flames blowing out, or even rising hot air getting blown out of the grill. Infrared grills use radiant heat, which is resistant to the effects of wind.
Great for Searing
The infrared gas grill heating process works in much the same manner you may have visualized the light emanating from a laser beam. Here, the heat is transferred directly in the air and penetrates the food to achieve a quality sear, lock moisture, and result in less flare-ups. What comes out of it is an outstanding, even caramelization.
They Cook Faster
IR grills are known to deliver fast preheating times and attain extreme temperatures within a matter of minutes. When compared to traditional charcoal and gas grills, the heat given off by Infrared grills is three to six times hotter.
They Provide Very Uniform Heat
The majority of grills have cold and hot parts. This significantly affects the cooking process. Some sections of the food being cooked at varying temperatures. In general, IR heat is uniform across the grill, meaning you’ll get consistent results in your cooking every time.
Disadvantages of Infrared Grills
They Tend to Be More Expensive
Infrared grills cost much higher compared to the cost of ordinary charcoal or gas grills. The reason for this can be attributed to their high performance and high quality materials used to manufacture the grill.
High Probability of Burning Food
The extreme heat given off by infrared grills means that it’s more likely for the food to get burned if the cook isn’t paying attention.
Can Be Too Hot for Particular Foods
Some models may prove too hot to cook certain types of foods. Foodstuffs such as fish and vegetables need to be cooked under low heat. Slow cooking isn’t an option with infrared grilling because you won’t be able to regulate low temperatures accurately.
Factors to Consider When Choosing Infrared Grills
- Location you intend to use the Infrared grill;
- The Cooking space;
- Heat consistency and Heat;
- Fuel Source;
- Storage Space;
- Ease to Use and Assemble.
By taking the aforementioned into account, you’ll be in a better position to make an informed decision that gives you value for money spent.
Who doesn’t love tender-cooked, hearty, and juicy grilled meat? The best way you can enjoy the savory flavor of BBQ meat is definitely by purchasing the infrared barbecue.
The infrared grill market is on the rise. These burners use infrared wavelengths to give off heat that goes through the infrared plate, proving the best conditions for cooking. Given the excellent features of IR grills and how effective they are, you can be sure that you’ll get one that suits all your needs.
Buying Portable Infrared Grills
Top Things to Look For:
This is one of the most obvious things you need to factor into your decision. Finding the right size is key. You need to find a grill that is the right size because you are buying it for the portability factor. Not only do you need to find one that is easy to transport to the camping or to put tabletop. You also want to find one that has the amount of surface space needed for cooking for your use-cases.
Your budget is another key consideration you should be making. After all, you want to get something that you can afford. Luckily, you can find a lot of options at different price points (please also read out article on best gas grills under $300).
Overall, there is a lot that should be considered when you are shopping for infrared grills. Follow the tips above and you'll be able to successfully narrow down your options.
All You Need To Know About Infrared Grill Cooking
Infrared grills have gained a lot of popularity in recent years. It is mainly for two reasons – they are portable and the appliance does not lose much heat during the cooking process. There are many types of grills that utilize infrared heat for cooking in the market. Most infrared grills are very effective. They can reach ideal cooking temperatures of around 700 degrees in less than 5 minutes.
The average infrared grill cooking times tend to vary depending on the type of food that you are cooking. For example, food items such as solid steaks will take longer compared to items such as fish or vegetables. However, no matter what type of food you are cooking, you can be sure of one thing – your food will cook much faster if you are using an infrared grill.
These grills can be very powerful and they tend to heat up very quickly. So it is recommended that you only cook your meals using an infrared barbecue running at full power for only a few minutes. If you are grilling some steaks, lower the power of your infrared grill considerably once the steaks start caramelizing. It will allow them to cook properly on the inside. You should apply this principle no matter the type of food that you are cooking. To enjoy great food cooked on an infrared grill, you just have to learn how to control the heat output so that it is ideal for the particular type of food you are cooking.
Grilling 101 - What Does Charbroiled Mean?
Those who are interested in the grilling experience may be contemplating upgrading their grills (both indoor and outdoor versions). However, before making the decision about which grill would best suit individual requirements it might be a good idea to familiarize oneself with the terminology that is used to describe that barbecue experience.
The first definition that is important to understand is what does charbroiled mean?
The definition is pretty simple - charbroiling is a method of cooking using high levels of radiant heat in order to sear the exterior of the protein. Temperature usually varies between 550 F and 700 F and provides that desirable smoky flavor (also check other ways to add smokiness). However charbroiling is also used indoors rather than outdoors and relies on gas to a large extent. The gas supplies the flame that usually heats 'lava' rocks. The surface of the grill is a grate (or 'ribs') that provides those sought after sear lines or bands.
Many restaurants make use of the charbroiling approach because the grills maximize production. Also, the heat is both evenly distributed and can be carefully adjusted with some chargrill equipment. It makes it possible to set different heat intensities across the grill surface. Of course, the taste of meat prepared in this manner is extremely attractive to restaurant patrons - and guests at home.
Tips On Cleaning Infrared Grill
When it is time to start cleaning infrared grills, it's essential to focus on using the right solutions.
You will want to get your hands on an ammonia-based glass cleaner. Do not use abrasive cleaners as these can do quite a bit of damage to the grill.
With a soft cloth, you are going to spray the cleaner on the surface and begin to wipe. Do this gently as you are not going to want to aggravate the grill and damage it. A good cleaner that tends to work well is a solution such as Windex but any similar option will do.
If you are worried about the stainless steel finish, it's okay to move forward with a metal polish. This can be spread along the stainless steel to make sure it shines and looks clean again. Just let it sit for a few minutes and then rub it off.
Also, take the time to look at the drip tray to ensure it is clean. A lot of grill owners forget about this and it continues to collect grease.
Take your time to wipe this part of the grill and ensure it doesn't have hard residue on it through constant use.
Infrared Searing Burner
If you are looking for the infrared searing burner, you have come to the right place. Infrared grilling is the latest grilling method preferred by people who want barbecued foods that are full of flavor. It applied radiation technology to barbecue your food and guarantee excellent results in the process. The grills use metal, glass, or ceramic plates to absorb heat and radiate it to the food. You may find a host of infrared grills on the market, but all of these products are not top-notch. There are many factors to consider when investing in a superior quality infrared grill.
You should opt for the right size to suit your personal needs when shopping for the infrared grill. There are infrared grills in different sizes including small, medium, and large. Measure the space of your backyard or patio as well as the volume of food you plan to cook before choosing the best product. Infrared grills use different sources of energy such as charcoal, liquid propane or natural gas, or electricity to cook your food. Electricity is a good option thanks to its eco-friendliness. The number of burners is another factor to consider when buying the best infrared searing burner for your needs (гou might also be interested in reading our article about gas grill with searing burner).
Char-Broil 463370719 Performance TRU-Infrared 3-Burner Gas Grill
The invention of home-friendly grills has changed the way food smells and tastes. For both the foodies and chefs, this cookware has brought so much happiness. There is no more need to order expensive smoky steaks, sizzling burgers, roasted pork, or other grilled cuisines. Instead, hop on to a reputed seller page and make the best cooktop investment. Here is the fantastic model for all the home food lovers in the name of Char-Broil 3-burner cart style. Quickly see the relevant info about this propane-based product to check its viability as a user.
- Burner - Unlike other grills, it does not have just one or two but three efficient burners. Infused with 24,000 BTUs of energy, it can help to cook more food in less time.
- Dimensions - 54.1 x 23.4 x 45.5 inches are indeed impressive measurements for any non-commercial grill. Though it can be a bit bulky for portability when assembled fully.
- Grilling Area - Users will be more than glad to get 450 square inches of the primary cooking surface. Add more to this area by using the side shelves if needed to serve more guests.
- Ignition - This product is known for its swing-a-way warming rack for enhanced utility besides being seamlessly quick with the electronic push-button ignition.
- Durability - The manufacturer has kept in mind the long life of this product by using only durable material. Stainless steel and porcelain make this grill rust-proof and ideal for hard-wearing use.
- Extras - It comes with wheels for easy movements here and there. Also, these wheels can be locked when no movement is needed. The presence of a temperature gauge helps to know how much the food has been cooked to control the heat accordingly.
Char-Broil 463632320 Signature TRU-Infrared 2-Burner Gas Grill
Who does not like to get together with friends and family for some food and gossip? Well, everybody needs a relaxing time and grilled meals with their dear ones. But large reunions call for more food. So do not spoil the homely warm touch by ordering packets from outside. Instead, invest in a splendid grill like Char-Broil Signature mentioned in this post and get ready to impress all the guests. Let the inside skilled chef boast the grilling skills with this cookware. But before buying it, learn some pints about its features, pros, and cons.
- Burner - Two stainless steel burners are powered with 18,000 BTUs. Users are extremely happy for the splendid cooking efficiency.
- Dimensions - It has fantastic measurements that are as good as 22.5 x 46.8 x 47.2 inches. However, as a complete set up it can seem to be a giant and weighty arrangement. But, the wheels do a good job for easy moving.
- Grilling Area - The primary cooking area of 325 square inches is wowing for cooking more food. Also, its side shelves can give a total of 425 square inches.
- Ignition - Do not get disappointed for seeing knob-like switches instead of push buttons for ignition in the images. It rather has Surefire electronic ignition that is very smooth to turn on.
- Durability - The developers and describers have made sure that the sturdy long-life details of this appliance reach each onlooker. It is rust-proof. Also, the materials used for manufacturing the whole cookware stainless steel and cast iron, along with porcelain coating.
- Extras - It also has a warming rack that can help retain heat to keep the food warm for long. Side shelves can be folded or locked open for smooth working as per the need.
Char-Broil the Big Easy TRU-Infrared Smoker, Roaster & Grill
All the rectangular grills may take an excuse right now because the Char-Broil model is here. Shortened as an SRG appliance, it does justice to its name completely, meaning it can be the only cooktop one needs for Smoking, Roasting, and Grilling. Yes, it is a three-in-one kind of cooking appliance that is an impressive feat in itself. The interesting thing about its barrel shape is that it can fit anywhere, unlike the broader ones. Its drum shape needs lesser space and is perfect for patios and other smaller spaces. Before hopping on the “Put in cart” option, check the below-mentioned things about this product.
- Setup - It is not a kind of cooktop that can be used as soon as it is unpacked. Setting up this three-in-one appliance will take time and a bit of effort. Please go through the manual closely else; one may end up arranging it wrong.
- Burner - This promising-looking equipment is designed to cook meat, chicken, and other heavy foods to the innermost layer. Its heating capacity ranges from 9,000 to 18,000 BTUs as per user needs.
- Dimensions - 23.1 x23.4 x 36.2 inches are the respective length, breadth, and height of this model. Somewhat heavy on the weighing scale, but versatile cookware can be allowed such construction.
- Durability - It can be said that it comes in two bodies. The inner stainless steel arrangement has a covering that forms the outer appearance. Porcelain coating further adds to its durability.
- Extras - Wooden chips can add to the flavor and aroma of any food cooked therein. Thus, it can enhance the barbeque experience without spending on three different appliances for smoking, grilling, and roasting.
Solaire SOL-EV17A Everywhere Portable Infrared Propane Gas Grill
Everybody knows about the medium and large-sized grills, but very little is talked about for the smaller ones. Even the internet shows results in the same manner. But then such options might be too massive for a person who lives alone or a duo that shares the kitchen. For such people, Solaire SOL-EV17A might come as the most suitable grill. Small, efficient, and portable are the three best words that describe this product perfectly. However, before spending on this powerful grill, it is vital to look at both the positives and negatives.
- Burner - Though one in number, its burner is impressively intense on the performing tangent. It is infused with infrared technology and startling 14,000 BTUs that cook the food faster than any big version.
- Dimensions - It comes under the category of small grills. The dimensions are as short as 13.5 x 21 x 8.25 inches. Even the weight is as less than 15 pounds that together make this cookware highly portable.
- Grilling Area - Big families may not like to see such a size of the grilling area. It is around 140 square inches only. However, it can be an ideal area for a couple or a single user.
- Ignition - It has a prompt way of ignition that comes as an electric switch. Just turn it on, wait for a few minutes, voila! Goodbye to matchboxes.
- Durability - Good quality stainless steel is the base material used to manufacture this product. Resultantly, it can endure more heat and rough handling as well.
Char-Broil X200 TRU-Infrared Portable Gas Grill
Tailgate grilling has gained a lot of attention lately, especially among the groups of sports fanatics. But it is no more just a sporty affair. People admire going out for food and drinks for grilling together. Thus, it is indispensable to have a portable and efficient grill. If more space and extensive heat are the demands, Char-Broil Grill2Go X200 can be a good option. It will serve such a demanding purpose and hot meals within a few minutes. Some of the must-know features of this model are as follows:-
- Burner- Made from stainless steel, the burner is highly hard-wearing. Also, its 9500 BTU energy produces a whooping amount of heat for perfect grilling.
- Dimensions- The small measurements make this propane grill quite handy. It is so conveniently sized that it can be taken anywhere hassle-free.
- Grilling Area- With 200 square inches, it is not acceptable to complain about the available space. However, it indeed is a pretty broad surface for grilling.
- Ignition- Neither matchsticks nor any batteries are required to ignite it. Turn on the push switch to begin grilling in no time.
- Durability- The material used to make this grill is appreciated by umpteen users. Its cast aluminum and stainless steel give the required strength for long life. Even the legs are complemented to b enough sturdy.
- Locks- The lid comes with locks that can help in two ways. One, it cooks and keeps the food warm quickly by keeping the heat in. Second, a strong fastener makes commuting worry-free. The handles are also stably fixed for reliable carrying.